Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Recipe: Easy Cheesy Vegetable Chicken Chowder

This recipe is so quick and easy! It's from the better homes and gardens "Big Book of 30 min meals". We had cornbread with it last night and I'm having the leftovers for lunch today. Sorry no picture today! I would have posted the corn bread recipe but I think it's a secret family recipe. So, if you really really want it (which you should! it's so good! It's almost like cake!), email me, and I'll send it to you!

25 min 5 min prep

1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup loose-pack frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, crushed or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of potato soup
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
1 dash pepper
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 ounce)


1. In a large saucepan combine broccoli, corn, water, onion, and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Do not drain.

2. Stir milk, chicken or turkey, potato soup, the 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, and pepper into vegetable mixture. Cook (stirring often) over medium heat until cheese melts and mixture is heated through.

3. Sprinkle each serving with the remaining cheddar cheese. That's it! You're done.

Changes: I put a chicken breast in the oven with the cornbread before I make the soup. I put a little olive oil on it with garlic salt and pepper. When the chicken is done let it sit for at least 5 min. Then I shred the chicken using a fork. I love shredded chicken in soups so much better than cubed.

No comments: